About FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC)
It’s way more than just building robots and competing! FIRST Tech Challenge teams (grades 7-12) are challenged to design, build, program, and operate robots to compete in a head-to-head challenge in an alliance format. Participants call it “The Hardest Fun You’ll Ever Have!” Guided by adult Coaches and Mentors, students develop STEM skills and practice engineering principles while realizing the value of hard work, innovation, and sharing ideas. The robot kit is reusable from year-to-year and can be programmed using a variety of languages, including Java. Teams also must raise funds, design and market their team brand, and do community outreach for which they can win awards. Participants have access to tens of millions of dollars in college scholarships. Each season concludes with Super-Regional Championships and an exciting FIRST Championship. It is always a great environment to meet new friends and build social skills with their peers,it is also great way to learn Engineering, Marketing, Electrical, Mechanical and Building skills that can later be used in future carers.
The MOST positive impact on FIRST Tech Challenge participants is gratifying and well documented. Over 86% have more interest in doing well in school and 87% are more interested in attending college. View impact resources.
FIRST Tech Challenge teams get to:
- Design, build, and program robots
- Apply real-world math and science concepts
- Develop problem-solving, collaboration, and team-building skills
- Build and become strong leaders
- Understand and practice Gracious Professionalism™
- Cooperate and compete in alliances at tournaments
- Compete for awards on and off the field
- Participate in a tiered competition that culminates at the FIRST Championship
- Qualify for millions of dollars in college scholarships
- Have fun!