About FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC)
Combining the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology.
We call FIRST Robotics Competition the ultimate sport for the mind. High school student participants call it “The hardest mind-working fun you could ever have.” Under strict rules, limited resources, and an intense six-week time limit to build the best robot that can conquer all other robots, teams of students are challenged to raise funds, design a team “brand name,” use teamwork skills, build and program industrial-size robots to play difficult field games against like-minded competitors. It’s as close to real-world engineering as a student can get. Volunteer professional mentors lend their time and talents to guide each team. Each season ends with an exciting FIRST Championship.
The positive impact on FIRST Robotics Competition participants is gratifying and well documented. Over 88% have more interest in doing well in school and 92% are more interested in attending college. View the impact resources.
FIRST Robotics Competition teams get to:
- Learn from professional engineers.
- Master STEM skills.
- Learn and use sophisticated software, hardware, and power tools.
- Build and compete with a robot of their own design.
- Improve teamwork, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Compete and cooperate in alliances and tournaments.
- Understand and practice Gracious Professionalism™.
- Earn a place at the FIRST Championship.
- Qualify for millions of dollars in college scholarships.