In the interest of ensuring the safety of everyone working on a FIRST team, FIRST maintains a set of Standard Safety Regulations for all their programs:
• MANDATORY! Non-shaded safety glasses that meet ANSI Z87 standards
• Open toed shoes are not allowed at events.
• No loose clothing.
• Tie hair away from the face, especially long hair.
• No jewelry or other moving objects that may be hazardous.
• Protective masks/respirators when there are potentially harmful fumes/dust.
• Have safety guards for power tools when required.
• Wear safety gloves when needed.
• Earplugs/earmuffs for objectionable/questionable sound levels.
• ALWAYS walk and work in a controlled and thoughtful manner.
• Keep control of robot at all times with no one in the robot’s path at any time.
• Use lead-free solder only and solder with electrically heated soldering iron/gun only.
• Solder in well-ventilated areas.
• Do not leave any hot tools, such as a hot drill bit, where someone can accidentally contact the hot element.
• Don’t use defective, dull, or broken tools. Don’t put them back on the shelf; remove them from service and notify the safety captain and mentor so they can be replaced or sent in for repair.
• Inspect your equipment cords and extension cords routinely to ensure they are in good condition.
• Practice proper safe lifting, handling, and transporting techniques.
Above all else, use common sense!
FIRST‘s entire document on safety rules can be accessed here.